So what now??
Goal of Post: To come up with a plan/ a to-do list for the research side of my life for this year.
So I have submitted my PhD. My viva is booked for the 19th April, less than a month away. Im on the dole – I have to apply for 2 positions a week to get my dole money. I live with my parents which is driving me mad, and provides many excuses for not getting any work done. I have an interview at the OU, which went really well for a ‘people-based’ role as a Student Registration & Enquiry Assistant. However I need to start preparing for my viva, and thinking about my PhD publications, and trying to get my research career off the ground.
Goals for this month:
- Prepare for viva (also includes roughly identifying 1) planning potential papers and 2) areas of expertise).
- Apply for jobs that I enjoy and are useful to my career = stepping stone, since I am not financially desperate enough to work in a call centre.
Goals for this year:
- Identify potential papers from PhD
- Identify my research areas of expertise
- Identify research areas that I’m interested in exploring and are recession proof.
- Volunteering with conservation projects/ citizen science/ science communication stuff…
- Start writing up papers to be published!!
Action Plan for Viva preparation:
- Read over thesis without a pen in my hand or a notebook nearby.
- Go over websites for ‘preparing for your viva’ and books, and use tips/ potential questions.
- Contact Luton Uni for using their library (Luton library has no power sockets for laptops, although it does have wi-fi).
- Form profiles of examiners research areas and their take on my thesis.
- Prepare for Viva!!