Conservation & Saving Our World
Aim of Category & Post:
To identify conservation areas that I’m interested in and practical applications areas of my PhD research (plant-herbivores interactions, plant chemistry, inorganic pollutants).
Nature reserves in polluted areas
Set aside areas, nearby areas of agricultural run-off
Nature Improvement Areas (NIAs) – areas of land where natural features and wildlife habitats exist alongside housing, roads and food production.
Practical application areas of PhD research:
- Nature after minerals:http://www.afterminerals.com/ Converting mineral extraction area to conservation areas.
- Biofortification of food: Increasing the trace mineral content of crops through identifying plants traits or population traits that have naturally higher mineral uptake and mineral concentrations. Determining the ecological effects of this – food chain, biomagnification, effects on the soils, litter decomposition.
- Phytoremediation of inorganic, organometallic and organic pollutants
- Conservation of hyperaccumulating plants
Further Theoretical Areas of PhD research:
- Elemental defence hypothesis: Joint Effects Theory, Accumulators and elemental defence, population differences.